Wednesday 15 February 2012

Shipping the News

Firstly, I would like to request any recommendations for 2011 films which I have not mentioned on here or seen, that you think were up there with the best and that I should definitely check out. I watched "Drive" for the first time this week and I am aware that there are many more I need to look out for. Of course, all film recommendations from any year are always welcome. Let me know your favourites!


Because I didn't supply you with any film news in my last blog, in this post I am exclusively going to look at film news, including some trailers for upcoming films which have caught my eye:

"Rampart" Out 24th February
Woody Harrelson is being interview in just about every film magazine at the moment and it's because of this film. The trailer looks fantastic: attention-grabbing, intense, dark, gritty. It's the tale of a corrupt, aggressive LA cop, who believes that his violent suppression of criminals is the best way and probably thinks political correctness has gone mad. It had a brilliant cast, not just the superb Harrelson, but also Steve Buscemi, Sigourney Weaver, Anne Heche, and Ben Foster who lots of young women rave about but who I'm not that bothered about yet. Maybe this will turn me!


"Micahel" Out 2nd March
The trailer for this leaves you with so many questions, I'd recommend you watch it first to see what you think of it before you read a synopsis. It is the directorial debut for Markus Schleinzer. It will probably be incredibly chilling and hard to watch, but it is a very powerful trailer:



"Casa de mi Padre" Out 16th March
This film caught my attention for several obvious reasons. Firstly, it is a comedy starring Will Ferrell, who I love. He's often incredibly endearing and always hilarious, in films like "Zoolander" and "Anchorman", but also "Elf". Secondly, it also stars Gael Garcia Bernal, one of the most beautiful actors around and thirdly, the film is in Spanish, even Ferrell is speaking in Spanish! The trailer looks very amusing, check it out:



"Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" Out 2nd August
There are several films coming out this year about ol' Abe Lincoln, and though this isn't the one I'm most excited about, I do like a good vampire romp and the trailer looks fun. Benjamin Walker, with whom I am unfamiliar, plays Lincoln, and it also stars Rufus Sewell, one of my favourites, Alan Tudyk, with whom the world must be in love, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, aka Ramona Flowers, and more.


"Premium Rush" Out 28th September
Here's the one, the film we have been waiting for! One of the many Joseph Gordon-Levitt films coming out this year. In this one JGL stars as Wilee, a Manhattan bike messenger trying to escape from a dirty cop. It looks like pretty fast-paced action. Do I need to say any more than the three letters "JGL" to get you interested? Watch the trailer, here, now!!



The new Beauty
In non-trailer news, Guillermo del Toro is to direct a live action version of "Beauty and the Beast" (even after the amazing success of "Beastly"? - Yes, that is sarcasm), which will star Emma Watson as Belle.
I do love a good "Beauty and the Beast" adaptation, being a massive fan of the Disney version, and del Toro is yet to do me wrong, so lets see if Emma can tone down the eyebrow-acting to bring a faithful performance to the franchise. She certainly has the face, but does she have the talent to be a lead?

Furthermore, Peter Jackson is to direct a second "Tintin" film, according to Steven Spielberg. The pair are planning a trilogy. Production is to start on this sequel after Jackson is finished making "The Hobbit", which I think we can all agree needs to take top priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment