Sunday 31 January 2016

One to watch (because you can't avoid him): Domhnall Gleeson



You can't avoid Domhnall Gleeson this awards season but then, why would you want to? He's brilliant!

Gleeson (son of actor Brendan Gleeson) stars in a number of the films that are up for awards this year: Ex Machina, Brooklyn and The Revenant. On top of that, he is one of the main villains in the new Star Wars trilogy: General Hux.

The first film I think I saw Gleeson in was 2010's Never Let Me Go. The first time I really noticed him was in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I- also of 2010 - in which he starred as Bill Weasley alongside his father who plays Mad Eye Moodey. Since then, Gleeson's career has sky-rocketed to the point that it feels like I can't go more than a few months without seeing Gleeson in a film.

But I don't mind, because Gleeson is an incredibly talented and diverse character actor. If you need convincing, watch either Frank or Ex Machina, two amazing films with amazing performances from Gleeson. I'm convinced his career has nowhere to go but up and I am sure there are awards in his future. So watch this space!


No comments:

Post a Comment